Alhamdulillah, after two years studying and living in London, I found Mr Azman's words was right. I also managed to achieve some of my aims while studying in the UK.
HOW DO I DESCRIBE LONDON?
I am sure most of Londoners will agree with me if I say London cannot be described by only one word. It is a vibrant, busy, fun, confusing, dodgy, multi cultural, multi religious, stressful, fast, old, modern, etc. metropolitan city. This is where not only east meets west, but may also the point where everybody from all parts of the world gathered. Not too much if I say it is not a pure English city anymore. When I was on the bus or tube only sometimes I can hear people speaking English, normally I would hear people speaking Arabic, Spanish, Italian, French, Urdu, Swahili or other incomprehensible languages.
However interracial tolerance demonstrated here is far better than in Malaysia. Even though you can see people tend to live in an area where most of the population is their race, for example Edgware Road is popular with Arabs, Chinatown with Chinese, East London with Asians and Africans and South Kensington with whites. Racism is not a big problem. People respect your culture and live harmoniously.
Racism is an offence, universities and government really concern about it. In fact in Student Union, they have a department deals with this issue and the university run anti-racism campaign throughout the year. Serious action will be taken on the offender. Unlike in Malaysia, the UPM incident was kept silence and swept under the carpet. No publicity in the mainstream media. Maybe because Britain don’t have bumiputera policy and everybody speaks in same language, English.
I think Malaysians should learn this positive culture from this country.
p/s: my writings may not reflect the real situation. However that is how I feel and see London.
1 comment:
London to me is these: museum galore, living fossils, spiritual heaven, black cabs and red buses, a state within state -London generates about 12% of UK's yearly income. If I am Mayor, I would seek promotion to Kingship immediately. Failing that, dictatorship, haha!
Post a Comment